Friday 28 January 2011

H+M's sustainable fashion line



H+M have a brand new line of sustainable fashion clothing! These pieces are made from materials such as organic cotton and recycled polyester.

Sounds exciting but I've checked out the range online and I'm not liking any of the ladieswear. Don't they realise that you can be green and stylish? Though, I must say that the children's clothes and the menswear are looking good. And they're very affordable too. It does make me question how much the workers who made these clothes were paid though. Big businesses are quick to market their clothes as green but it's not enough unless they are being fully responsible for everyone and everything involved in their business, whether it is the people making the clothes or the wildlife affected by the pesticides sprayed onto cotton or the quality of the goods produced, which determines how quickly they're thrown away, or the synthetic dyes used that pollute our water. And lets not forget that it's the big and cheap stores that are making it more difficult for independent businesses to survive in this sector. Especially ethical designers who have to sell their clothes at higher prices because of the financial costs involved.

I think I'll pass on this one. It's great that H&M are giving people options but it's not quite good enough for me. I know it sounds hypocritical of me to criticise H&M when I have bought many of their clothes, but to me this is just a poor attempt to jump onto the green bandwagon just to make money from people who care about the environment.

What are your views on this?

xx

2 comments:

Ramblings of a Redhead said...

oh its cute! and for january, just throw on a killer leather jacket!

Majeeda said...

Not my scene either, however, fashion is extremely subjective and of course - changeable. :)