Thursday 25 August 2011

Cioccolatina Karite soap review

Hello eco babes!

A while ago, Sheabutter Cottage kindly sent me a bar of Karite Shea butter soap (£3.65 for 100g)  from the Cioccolatina range as a prize (thank you!).



The Karite soap is made up of 70% shea butter, which is unrefined and fair trade. It is described that the soap is ideal for those with dry skin.

It has small grains in it, which I assume are the ground up shells of the shea nut. This makes it great for exfoliating the skin.

As there is no fragrance in this, it is suitable for those with sensitive skin.

Verdict:

I love the creamy texture of this soap. It is hard to find a natural soap that doesn't foam well. Cioccalatina got it right.

I also love how it exfoliates my skin. The little bits are quite small so it doesn't scratch my skin at all. It's actually quite relaxing how it massages my skin.

Normally, shea butter is very moisturising and it is described on the website that the soap is suitable for dry skin. However, I ended up with dry hands and dry patches around my face, which I can't explain. I guess it is a soap at the end of the day and many soaps can be drying. I don't normally have a problem when washing my face with soap.

As the soap is unfragranced, it didn't do anything to cover up any food smells on my hands.

Overall, the soap isn't bad at all. I love it's creamy texture and exfoliating properties but it is isn't suitable for my skin and I personally prefer a little fragrance to leave my hands feeling pretty. I don't know whether I could recommend this to those with oily skin as it is supposed to be suitable for dry skin. What I can say is that if you have sensitive skin and you're looking for an unfraganced soap then give it a go and see how it works for you. If you moisturise your hands and face each day (which I don't to be honest) then I wouldn't imagine that you will experience any dryness.

So a pretty much mixed verdict on this one I'm afraid. But I hope I've made some clear enough points to help you decide on whether or not it's for you.

Have a look at the rest of the Cioccolatina range. There are many other soaps which I hope to try soon. You can also find other bodycare and haircare products in this range, such as Olio Hair Food hair oil, which I've reviewed here.

xx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i have the same problem with moisturising soaps. they just don't work for me. so i make sure i keep lotion by the sink at all times